Adapted from another great soup cookbook: The Daily Soup cookbook
Leslie Kaul - Bob Spiegel - Robin Miller - Hyperion - 1999
* 1 can black-eyed peas
* 12 c. water
* 2 T. peanut oil
* 2 T. flour
* 1 large Spanish onion, chopped
* 2 celery stocks, chopped
* 2 green bell peppers, seeded and chopped
* 2 red bell peppers, seeded and chopped
* 2 t. dried thyme leaves
* 2 t. dried oregano
* 2 bay leaves
* 1 1/2 t. onion powder
* 1 1/2 t. garlic powder
* 1 1/2 t. mustard seed
* 1/2 t. cayenne
* 1/2 t. ground black pepper
* 1/2 t. ground white pepper
* 2 t. kosher salt
* 2 cubes of Knorr vegetarian bullion
* 2 c. tomato juice
* 1 butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1-inch cubes
* 3 yams, peeled, and cut into 1-inch cubes
* 1 c. fresh sliced okra
* 1 bunch chopped kale
* 1/2 c. chopped scallions
* 1 t. minced fresh garlic
To make the soup:
1. Heat the oil and flour in a large stockpot over medium heat. Cook until the mixture forms a thick, rust-covered roux, about 5-7 minutes.
2. Add the onion, celery, peppers and sauté until tender.
3. Add the thyme, oregano, bay leaves, the onion, garlic, and mustard powders, the cayenne, black and white petters, and salt and stir to coat the vegetables.
4. Add the stock, tomato juice, squash, yams, okra, and peas and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 20 min.
5. Remove from the heat, stir in the kale, cover, and let steep for 1 minute.
6. Stir in the scallions and garlic.
7. Remove the bay leaves and ladle the gumbo into bowls.