Adapted from another great soup cookbook: The soup bible: all the soups you will ever need in one inspiring collection.
Debra Mayhew - Hermes House - 1999
* 1 lb. Italian plum tomatoes, halved lengthwise
* 1 large red bell pepper, quartered and seeded
* 1 large red onion, quartered
* 2 garlic cloves, unpeeled
* 1 T. olive oil
* 5 cups of water
* 2 1/2 cubes of Knorr vegetarian bullion
* a good pinch of sugar
* 3/4 c. very small pasta
* 1/2 c. very small pasta
* Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
* Olive oil for roasting
* Fresh basil leaves
To make the soup:
1. Heat the oven to 375°F. Spread the tomatoes, red pepper, onion, and garlic on a roasting pan and drizzle with oil. Broil until the vegetables are soft and charred, turning them to cook all sides.
2. Tip the vegetables into a food processor add 1 c of water and process until puréed. Scrape into a strainer and press the puree through and into the stock pot.
3. Add the remaining ingredients and stock and bring to a boil.
4. Add the pasta and simmer until al dente.
5. Top with a sprig of fresh basil